Saturday, November 24, 2007

Around in Circles

I've run out of places to migrate the crates to in the house (for variety). I guess I'll move the kids back to the bedroom for a bit, I need them out of the kitchen. I thought about splitting the crates up in different rooms.

I decided against it for a couple of reasons; I don't think it's efficient during night time potty runs and I think the pack mentality is maintained by sleeping in one space.

Pack mentality is good for the dog's well being and it is the lazy girls way of training new members the basics like pee pee outside, go to your crate when told, sleep all night if at all possible....

After our little Fancy passed away, Dottie was an only dog for some time. She and I both became neurotic as hell, dependent on each other for our every emotional need. I see the pack as a way of perpetuating our relationship, dogs she has taught will teach other dogs, and so on. It's nice to have that continuity.

And, I truly believe dogs give each other something that we humans can't quite duplicate. I feel sad for "only dogs" who never get to socialize with other dogs. My Mom believed Dolly didn't like other dogs, but I think she just didn't have the social skills to get along with them.

Greta is slowly taking over leadership in the yard, barking at the door to be let in, defending the borders, etc. She's doing it in such a way that she's still "supporting" Dottie, there have been no fights or attempted coupe De tats such as Prissy tried to stage earlier this year.

Who would have thought that in less than a year she would go from wounded frightened little dog to leader of the pack?

No comments: