Friday, April 11, 2008

A stray

Maybe not a stray-this dog was well fed and quite self assured, walking down the middle of the street. He was black and white (one of my favorites) about Greta's size, with the same curled tail and yes the same bad hip. Unneutered, he was out and about looking to spread his bad genes around the neighborhood.

I considered a catch, neuter and release program. My vet already participates in low cost spay/neuters, but I doubt he'd agree to my guerrilla tactics. He's older, a probably wants to retire in peace.

As a former vet tech, I could do it myself if I had the sedative. I can see the headlines now..."Crazy Lady Found Neutering ever Stray Dog that walked Down Her Street...."

What a great book that would be. A story about setting up a mobile animal clinic in my travel trailer, going around the country neutering strays. But it would be sexist, I can only do the boys, the females are too invasive and there is too much other anatomy going on for me to figure it out.

Ah yes, thoughts of springtime are a little twisted for people who care about animals....

2 comments:

studio lolo said...

I'd be right there to help you Deb and we could be the super-neuter team!
Spring, a time when the animal shelters become overwhelmed with litters of kittens and puppies and then all the older animals get overlooked.
I didn't know you used to be a vet tech too. No wonder we connect!

Debra Kay said...

The thing that makes me the saddest is that it is so unnecessary. Put down that cell phone, cut back on cable and neuter your pet. If you can't, then you really shouldn't have a pet.

Dogs so easily overcome all kinds of trauma and drama. I'd really much rather have a year old dog than a new puppy any day....although Oliver has been an exceptional puppy and Lily hasn't been so bad either-but she was an older puppy too.