Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Exercise!

We tossed the Kong last night until Cody showed signs of slowing down. He is generally an active little fellow, but clearly not active enough. Now that the weather has cooled off I am going to have to be diligent about getting in some good cardio for the kids. Even small dogs need SOME exercise.

I think they also need the release of the hunt and the feeling of accomplishment of the walk. I'm beginning to divide my pack up in new ways-according to age and ability. Priss, Cody and Greta are younger and they need more vigorous exercise.

Priss and Greta need more mind stimulation as well. Cody, well, not so much.

Prissy and Dottie are the thinking members of the pack. Greta tends to get over run by her emotions. Cody, well, he's a guy, what can I say? Miss Bitty just wants to sit and watch it all and snuggle. I think in her day she was a force to be reckoned with, but now she is content to sit and watch the younger dogs indulge themselves.

I'm glad she's got this chance to be just a dog again. A lot of little dogs are never really dogs-they are surrogate babies. That really isn't fair to the dog.

Dottie is fairly well traveled and sophisticated. But she loves nothing better than to throw herself on her back and lie belly up in the sun-just like any other dog.

No comments: