Friday, August 3, 2007

Greta Report

I have to drive down to Lewisville tomorrow so I took the 2 spotties and Cody to board. Greta is riding shotgun-she's the only dog that truly enjoys riding in the car.

She was a bit nervous when we all left without her, and when I got back she looked for the rest of the pack. But, once we went for a walk down to Mom's she settled into the only dog spot with great enthusiasm. She let Mom feed her and insisted that they both hold her and rub her belly.

This was a dog that snapped at everyone when I first got her. When the male vet walked in for her first visit she huddled in the corner and peed from fright.

After I got her she was spayed and then had extensive hip surgery a week later. So you might say this year has been tough on Greta, as well as whatever happened before I got her.

This was also the dog that napped under my wheelchair while I recovered from surgery. Greta just happened into my life at the one time when I couldn't put an animal down for being crippled.

Greta's hip won't allow her to walk far, but that's ok because I can't either. Today I have real hopes for her as a therapy dog-she's young, she's enthusiastic, she isn't afraid of wheelchairs and she likes to be touched.

Once Greta understood I was pack leader, she never offered to bite me again (night one) and with a little work (mild correction) she came to firt tolerate people and now enjoys them. This is August, Greta came in late January. I would say that is remarkable progress for a remarkable little dog.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

Cheers to Greta! She is truly a credit to you.