Sunday, March 25, 2007

I love Jane Goodall

Just fed the snakes (the new babies ate, YES), played with the dogs and am listening to Jane Goodall's Heroes on Animal Planet. I love Jane Goodall-who wouldn't? But, I wonder, does she have a pet? Probably not, she travels and all the world is her home, but I can't help but mourn the sacrifice she has made.

It's very humid today and we are all a bit lazy. I spoke with Mom, Prissy has another belly ache-my poor little spotty girl.

Greta has a cosmic twin on Craigslist-yes, I looked and the lady is trying to adopt her out unspayed. But there is no room at the inn today-I'm at capacity and I have to make decisions based on what is best for the animals I already have. I think that's where hoarders go off track-they are so focused on the one they need to save rather than the 15 they already have. I've also noticed (at least on the animal rescue shows) the hoarders don't appear to have jobs.

But back to Jane. I think one of the things she can teach us all is not to get so bogged down in the pain and horror of the situation that we back off completely. Do what you can, when you can, turn the pain into passion.

Another tendency I've noticed amongst the do-gooders is a habit of bashing themselves-it's not good enough. Jane doesn't waste her energy beating her head and shouting mea culpa, she just moves forward.

Of course, I realize that I see an idyllic portrait of her-the cameras stop rolling if she gets mad or has pms or gas. But she still is an awesome lady.

No comments: