Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Groups

I've been putting the dogs out to play in different groups-by age, energy level, size, etc.

Putting the pups out together first seems to work best. The go out, piddle, run off some energy without the added burden of having to behave. Then the elders come out and their energy level pretty much matches the pups and they all play nicely until they are tired.

Prissy and Cody seem to be less domineering if the pups have toned it down some. This means less discipline is needed and it's better for everyone. I really think Ollie is such a soft dog because Prissy and Dottie and Lily just bossed the living crap out of him.

Lily in particular is blossoming-if I group them by size or sex she's always with Prissy-the boys are far less domineering. She's become far more confident and outgoing, and Prissy is coincidentally less of a bully.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Your readership demands puppy pictures!

Marie Reed said...

This blog has me itching to get a pooch! We just added a hamster to our family but that is certainly NOT the same!

laughingwolf said...

lol... too ye THIS long to figger that out? :O

but yeah, makes good sense...

my sheltie pup turned 3 months old on 23rd, the only boss he has is me ;)

laughingwolf said...

TOOK, not TOO :(

Snowbrush said...

Are they all yours? They look awfully healthy and happy.

I like Ollie as he is.

Even my FEMALE Aussie herding dog didn't look good with a pink collar--just too much aggression.

Few people seem aware of the enormous difference in jaw strength in dogs. My schnauzer couldn't hurt you much if he bit you with all his heart. My blue heeler could hurt you a lot even if she was half asleep.

Snowbrush said...

P.S. Here's a blog you might want to check out.

http://postyourdog.blogspot.com/